President's Interfaith Community Service Campus Challenge
In the fall of 2011 the White House launched the President's Interfaith and Community Service Campus Challenge, an initiative inviting institutions of higher education to commit to a year of interfaith and community service programming on campus and in the community. In this program, diverse campus groups work alongside community organizations to implement a specific year-long service project.
During the 2013-14 school year, Mississippi State University’s Interfaith Service initiative will bring together people of different faith backgrounds to improve the disaster preparedness of citizens of Oktibbeha County.
The initiative will begin with a dialogue focusing on “serving a neighbor in need” on September 12, 2013, the day after the National Day of Service and Remembrance, designated by the Corporation of National and Community Service. The kickoff event will be followed by a series of coordinated drives to collect specific materials to be assembled into disaster preparedness kits. The collection drives, kit assembly, and kit dissemination will be led by faith-based student groups, community faith-based entities, and university offices. The initiative will be concluded with a closing celebration and reflection on what it means to serve a neighbor in need, and the disaster preparedness kits being distributed to senior citizens within Oktibbeha County.
INDIVIDUALS AND ORGANIZATIONS CAN ASSIST IN THE FOLLOWING WAYS
- Participating in the “Serving a Neighbor in Need” kick-off event on 9/12 in the Student Union.
- Promoting the initiative via email, church bulletins, on your organization’s bulletin board, social media and/or website
- Assist with one of the many collection drives during the fall semester
- Become a drop-box location and work with members of your organization to collect one item or a number of items from the supply list
- Assist with locating seniors within Oktibbeha County that could benefit by receiving a disaster preparedness kit
- February 17 , 2014 - Coffee and Conversations: Ask an Athiest. Union Dawg House at 6:00pm.
- February 20, 2014 - Interfaith Conversation & Service - 3:15pm in 407 Moseley Hall. Register at: https://orgsync.com/61380/opportunities/730071
- February 24, 2014 - Interfaith Movie Night - Arranged ( http://arrangedthemovie.com/ ) - 5:30pm in 407 Moseley Hall.
- January 20, 2014 - MLK Day of Service. Register at: https://orgsync.com/61380/opportunities/684836
- August 27, 2013 - Interfaith supply drive # 1. Volunteers will check-in at 306 Moseley Hall before getting their drop assignments. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to assist.
- September 12, 2013 – “Serving a Neighbor in Need” interfaith dialogue kick-off event in the Colvard Student Union.
- September 16-21, 2013 - Emergency Preparedness Week Training and Events, visit www.cert.msstate.edu to register and volunteer
- October 10, 2013 - Community Supply Drive # 1 (bag drop) Register at: https://orgsync.com/61380/events/634995
- October 17, 2013 - Community Supply Drive # 1 (bag pick-up) Register at: https://orgsync.com/61380/events/636365
- November 15, 2013 - Community Supply Drive # 2 (bag drop) Register at: https://orgsync.com/61380/opportunities/585008
- November 21, 2013 - Community Supply Drive # 2 (bag pick-up) Register at: https://orgsync.com/61380/opportunities/670447
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
Supporting Organizations can select an item from the list below (see below) to collect throughout the fall and spring semesters and complete the form located here or email the Maroon Volunteer Center. To download a copy of the Emergency Supply List, click here.
|EMERGENCY SUPPLY KIT ITEMS||COLLECTING ORGANIZATION|
|2 pairs of sterile gloves (non-latex)||Starkville Multicultural Lions Club|
|4 inch by 4 inch sterile dressings||Muslim Student Association|
|3-day supply of non-perishable food||Trinity Presbyterian Church|
|Variety of adhesive bandages||Generation 6:20|
|Tube of antibiotic ointment||Apostolic Assembly of Jesus Christ|
|Cleansing agent/ antibiotic towelettes|
|Hand Sanitizer||Second Baptist Church|
|Sterile Water/Eye Wash Solution|
|Aspirin/non-aspirin pain reliever|
|Dust Mask||Alpha Phi Omega|
|Tube of petroleum jelly|
|Whistle||Student Affiliates of the American Chemical Society (SAACS)|
|Flash light and extra batteries|
|Manual can opener||University Honors Council|
|Gallon of water per person for at least 3 days|
|Pet food||Alpha Phi Omega|
|Waterproof portable container (for important documents)||The Boys and Girls Club|
|Emergency reference materials (such as first aid and information from ready.gov)||Campus-Community Emergency Response Team|
|Sleeping bag or warm blanket|
|Matches in a waterproof container|
|Paper cups, paper towel & plastic utensils||Just Truth|
|Paper and pencil||University Baptist Church|
|Book, game, or puzzle|
|Battery powered or hand crank radio|
|Local maps||Service Dawgs|
Starkville Multicultural Lions Club
University Honors Council
Apostolic Assembly of Jesus Christ
Second Baptist Church
Alpha Phi Omega
Campus-Community Emergency Response Team
Starkville Church of Christ
University Honors Council
Maroon Volunteer Center
Trinity Presbyterian Church
University Baptist Church
Muslim Student Association
Holmes Cultural Diversity Center